Friday, May 24, 2013

As I look back at my freshman year and my experiences in High School (English 12 Final Exam Essay)

May 24,2013

Freshmen year was interesting to say the least and probably one of my favorite years at the school in hindsight. I remember that I was shy and afraid to approach upper classmen. They say this and immediately approached me and respected that. I'll never forget my first day of high school when I became friends with some seniors that became people to look up too. I sat in art and they started a conversation with me. We were friends ever since. With school however it was a different story. Some teachers did not ease the transition from middle school to high school very well. Regardless of that I wish I would have been more avid in school and showed my true potential. If you do these three things then your time in high school won't be so bad. All you have to do is Manage your time, Respect those above you, and Plan for your future. This will make high school seem like a joke and intern prepare you for the future.

When you first get to high school you immediately notice the heavier work load. Especially when you hit junior year. If you can set time aside to do work then you've already lost. I wish I knew how valuable time was and not to waste it. I can't tell you how many times I forgot about a project or pushed it off till the last minute. Always do your work first and then waste time doing whatever you wanted to do. Create a schedule to stretch out projects daily so that you don't have to spend so much time on it per day. If you have a lot of work to do push the all the fun to the weekend and work for a week and then when it's the weekend rest and relax; have fun. Rewarding yourself like that is a good habit to learn now.




You're going to be in high school for a few years and I can tell you that come senior year you're going to need help. Respect your teachers and befriend them. Most of them love their students and would be happy to help. Always respect the people who are above especially upperclassmen. Most notably Senior. They've been at this school for three years and they know alot about it. They've been where you are not too long ago and most likely remember it clearly. Ask for advice and use it. I can tell you that building relationships with seniors freshmen year was a big help to me. They taught me many things that I couldn't learn from class. Many things that are gained throughout life from experiences. Freshmen year I was ahead of the others because I was already planning my steps out. Now did I stick with that and keep it up no but it's a good skill to learn.

Always know your future. Only take classes you need and classes that will help you in the future. I can tell you right now that some classes that I took back then wasted my time and the skills I learned were useless. Plan everything. I know many senior, I included, that took several AP Courses and earned credits for them. These credits however, were not accepted in college. Which means I wasted my time taking a college course in high school. There's no need to rush it. Take your time and enjoy your freedom while you have it. To manage your future create goals. Make your first set of goals your long term ones that you will complete years in the future. The next level should be goals that you want to complete later in the year that will contribute to the long term ones. The final level are goals that you plan to accomplish in the following month or weeks. If you plan all of this out you will be prepare for college and the life of a high school student.



In 2009 I didn't know what to expect. I was afraid of the upper classmen. This lead me to respect them as adults. That lead me to befriend them. Over the years I've gained many friends. some who are  teachers and some who are fellow students. My point is, if it wasn't for my respect for them I wouldn't be here. If it wasn't for planning I would be a dropout. If it wasn't for people who wanted me to succeed I would have failed. I have a lot of people that believe in me that I've gained and these three years. If it wasn't for them, I would be nothing. If you Manage your time, Respect those above you, and Plan for your future then you'll have a great time in high school and a great life. Trust me you'll have a wonderful time.

No comments:

Post a Comment