Tuesday, June 24, 2014

STORY: Be careful what you wish for aka Love can hurt those who are most cautious.

Personal Narrative

English 111

Joshua Daniels

June 10, 2014

Asking someone out on a date is hard to do. You have certain quotas that you need to meet. When I was younger I had no idea about these things. Why do I have to come to her house? Why can’t we split the bill? It was these things that plagued my mind and put me in a state of confusion. I begin to ask myself if it was worth it. I took it up to chance and let chance decide the answer to that question for me.
The girl in question was in my first period class. I saw her everyday and she would always sit in the seat to rows behind me.

“Good morning class”, my teacher said. “Here’s what we’re doing today-“

As she went on I dosed off thinking about how I would approach this girl. She was beautiful.

“Earth to Josh,” my friend said sitting next to me. “ I know you’re thinking about her. Just ask her. You’ll never know unless you do”

What he said stayed in my head for a while. I thought about it hard. “Nothing could go wrong,” I thought “ better to just go for it than regret it the rest of your life”

I went up to her. The light shined in my face like a spotlight and the class was my audience.

“Hello” I said.  She replied the same back.

My heart was pumping. I tried to make small talk. “What are you up to? How have you been? I like your hair? Her friends looked at me funny.

Not wanting to waste anymore time I spit it out. “Would you like to go out with me sometime?”

She paused as if she wanted to be sure that her answer reflected her feelings. Then she ran off to the other side of the room.

I didn’t get an answer to that question tell the end of class the next day.

There was a note on my desk. It read, “Sorry I didn’t respond I was nervous earlier. I’d love to go out with you sometime” I grinned hard and I tried not to but I couldn’t help it. “I turned to my friend and said, “You were right”

He nodded giving me a narcissistic look. However I didn’t care. I got the girl of my dreams or at least I thought I did. That Friday night was dark and cold. We met downtown and proceeded to see a movie. My friend was texting me at the time. I’m guessing he wanted to keep tabs on me.
I’m glad he did because that night went south fast.  The theater we went to was horrible. The seats were chewed up. The popcorn was expensive. That didn’t bother me.  Maria was the one who really got me concerned.  She was being so distant. The movie ended and I enjoyed the show but I didn’t feel as good as I did before. Then she turned to me and broke my heart into a million pieces. “I like someone else”

“Wha What?” I said. “How can you-“

She cut me off “I’m sorry Joshua” She left just like that.

It began to rain. Reflecting my feeling inside that I dared not to show her.

With my composure hanging on a thread I said, “I hope he’s worth it and he better treat you right”

With that I left. Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it and in a way I did.


I took a girl to the movies.